Towards the end of summer a friend mentioned that she hated fall because that meant winter was coming. I replied that fall is probably my favorite season. She seemed surprised, so I tried to explain it as best I could, but it wasn’t until I was actually in the midst of the season that it all made sense. Since I’ve spent a lot of time outside this fall (especially since last Tuesday) trying to take long walks to clear my head, think things through, and just appreciate the world, I thought I’d share some of the reasons I love fall. Here are ten (in no particular order):
- The colors – a quilt of red and yellow and orange and brown dotting the hillside under a clear blue sky
- The feel of the air, cool and crisp, on my cheeks
- The smoky, pungent odor of a crackling bonfire
- Everything pumpkin –
- Warm afternoons, cool evenings
- The moon – a harvest glow, big and round and oh-so-close
- Halloween fun!
- That first day it’s cool enough to pull out your favorite grey wool sweater (that little hole in the sleeve won’t matter)
- Honking geese
- Dog vs. squirrel –
Hope you have a perfect fall day!